Monday, September 10, 2012

When my first grandchild, Thomas, started talking the plan was for him to call me "Grampy". That was what I called my grandfather and what my children call my father. But, when he tried to say it, it came out "Grumpy". Much to the delight of my daughter, his mom, Courtney. As the following grandchildren; Taisie, Levi, and Lila, came along they were't given the option of calling me anything other than Grumpy. So the name stuck. I decided that I would make it work for me.

My wife, Joanne, and I frequently visit Walt Disney World and while there I am on a constant hunt for anything with the charactor Grumpy. I have numerous shirts, T-shirts, sweatshirts, neckties, and other apparel with Grumpy on them. I even aquired a Grumpy suitcase and computer bag.

As a United Methodist pastor, we have a lot of official meetings and classes to attend. I started wearing my Grumpy shirts to any official United Methodist function. I have some fellow pastors who only know me as Rev. Grumpy. I'm not trying to make any statement, except that I am reminding myself not to take myself too seriously.

As a joke I took this photo down at Duke Divinity School and my wife's cousin, Mary Love, suggested that I start a new blog. So this is my attempt. I realize that this is not a new concept, I have seen others do this, but it just might be fun.

Grumpy returns to Duke Divinity School for his fouth year of Weekend Course of Study.

No comments:

Post a Comment